Championship Series FAQ
ATTENTION TEAMS / DANCERS:
- The audition video may be of your dance team's most recent performance or rehearsal video.
- Make sure that your video showcases the best of your team’s abilities.
- Unfortunately, we cannot accept dance class footage as an audition video. Entries that include dance class footage will be disqualified.
The 1st - 3rd place winners from Studio Team Division, Junior Team Division, or Team Division will qualify to advance to compete at the World of Dance Summit. Each unique World of Dance competition may have additional competition divisions, but only 1st - 3rd place winners from each of the three divisions listed above will automatically qualify for the World of Dance Finals competition. Select teams from any global event may be invited by the World of Dance organization, as competitors at the World of Dance Finals competition. All teams represented at a world of dance event regardless of competition qualification, will be invited to participate in the World of Dance Summit as exhibition participants.
Studio Team Division
Ages: under 18*
Group size: 5+
- Dancers have performance experience, though may be new to the community & industry setting.
- Dancers exhibit developing and consistent understanding of formations and use of stage.
- Complexity of choreography ranges based on the age and level of the group.
- Typically dancers in this category train, perform, and or compete in multiple genres.
- If there are less than 6 (six) registered Studio Team Division competition entries, the Studio Team Division competition will be eliminated from that particular World of Dance competition. Teams originally registered in the Studio Team Division will be transferred to the Junior Team Division competition.
Junior Team Division
Ages: under 18*
Group size: 5+
- Dancers have performance experience in a community and pre-professional industry competition setting.
- Dancers exhibit consistent and efficient understanding of formations and use of stage.
- Complexity of choreography is evident and demonstrated throughout the set.
- If there are less than 6 (six) registered Junior Team Division competition entries, the Junior Team Division competition will be eliminated from that particular World of Dance competition. Teams originally registered in the Junior Team Division will be transferred to the Team Division competition.
Ages: If the group consists of any dancers over the age of 18* the group will compete in the Team Division.
Group size: 5+
- Dancers have performance experience in a pre-professional or professional, community, or industry competition setting.
- Dancers exhibit an efficient understanding of intricate formations and use of stage.
- Complexity of choreography, originality and exceptional creativity is evident and demonstrated throughout the set.
- All group members must be under 18.
- Groups must have a minimum of 5 registered dancers
- Groups must have a minimum of 5 registered dancers.
- Team Division showcase is for adults, college students, and professional dancers but is open for all ages.
- Groups are composed of dancers who are mixed ages.
- Performances must have 4 registered dancers or less.
- For Solo, Duo, Trio, Quad performances ages 18 and over.
Once a performance is submitted, a World of Dance representative will begin the screening process. After your video has been evaluated, you will receive an email with your competition / showcase acceptance or waitlisted status.
REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT PROCESS
Once a performance has been accepted to compete/showcase/exhibition, you must submit a registration form and payment via the link within the “Congratulations” email. The link requires you to add in your dancer(s) information and complete your payment.
Your registration must include:
- Country & City of Representation.
- Group Biography.
- Your 3 line biography will be used to introduce your performance at the World of Dance event in which you compete/showcase/exhibition.
- Name of each group member participating in the World of Dance event.
- If your group is selected for multiple performances, please indicate the separate group names, and the names of the individual performers that are in more than one number to account for quick changes. If we are not notified and the schedule has been sent, we can not guarantee a change in the schedule to accommodate back to back performances.
*Age requirements laid out in the competition or showcase submission must be followed on the day of the event you are participating in. If not, it may lead to disqualification of your team and removal of your placement without refund.
Studio Team Division, Junior Team Division and Team Division competing groups (5 or more members)
- Payment is $35.00 per registered member, per routine. (Subject to change)
- Two complimentary wristbands will be provided to team directors. Team directors can perform with their group as long as they meet the age requirements of the division they are competing in.
Showcase Team Registration (5 or more members)
- Registration payment is $25.00 per registered performer (Subject to change)
- Two complimentary wristbands are provided to team directors. Team directors are welcome to perform with their group as long as they meet the age requirements listed within their showcase entry
Junior Showcase and Upper Showcase (4 or less members)
- Registration is $50.00 per registered member. (Subject to change)
- One complimentary wristband will be provided to a director. Director will not be able to perform.
**The deadline for registration and payment is 20 days prior to the World of Dance event date. Failure to comply will result in removal from the show or additional fees as determined by World of Dance.
All competition and showcase performances must submit music two weeks prior to the World of Dance event date. Music must be in .m4a format, and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org The email should be titled as follows:
Email Title: “Team Name - Event City”
Music Screening Process
After you have submitted your music, the World of Dance organization will make sure your music meets our standards. The following rules apply:
- Profanity and inappropriate or offensive language are not allowed. World of Dance is a family environment, all music must be clean. Explicit content is not allowed.
- Music and performance time must not exceed 6 minutes in length.
- World of Dance will send an email to the primary contact, notifying them of the status of your music. If changes need to be made, your primary contact will have the opportunity to do so. Pay attention to the music eligibility rules. If your group is asked more than twice to clean up and/or resubmit your music, you will be removed from the event without refund.
- Groups who neglect to send in their music two weeks prior to the event, may be removed from the event, without refund.
**After your music has been approved, performers will need to provide a backup USB labeled with your group name on it. The music file on the backup USB must be the same music file that was approved. If the music file is switched and violates the language and/or time rules, the performer(s) will no longer be allowed to perform and may be banned from participating at future World of Dance events.
World of Dance will provide a performers packet to each group's primary contact. The packet will include your check-in time, show line-up, example score sheet, and other vital information pertaining to the event.
Judges Panel & Scoring System
ATTENTION COMPETITION TEAMS / DIRECTORS
The judges panel will consist of a minimum of 5 judges and one tabulator. All judges will meet the eligibility, training judge skill level, and requirements set forth by the World of Dance.
Each competing team will be scored based upon the following criteria:
- Stage Presence
- Cleanliness of Routine
- Body Control
- Dynamic in movement
- Music Selection
- Costume/Performance Attire
- Hair and Make-up
- Unapproved props - 1 point deduction from final score. (unapproved set pieces may result in disqualification, without refund)
- .1 point deduction per use. Any type of language that includes dirty words and ideas. Swear words, vulgar words, obscene gestures, and naughty jokes are all considered profanity.
- In result of a tie score, the tie breaker will be based upon the Performance Criteria.
MAIN STAGE AREA
Venue / Staging
- Main stage dimensions will differ per event. Inquiries for specific stage details can be addressed to the event manager, prior to the event date.
- Due to the number of dancers associated with each event, dressing rooms are not offered. Instead, performers can get ready in designated open space or other rooms as allocated for preparation.
- All performers are responsible for their own items. The venue, World of Dance staff, and all World of Dance live event affiliates and sponsors are not liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged items.
- All props must be prescreened and approved prior to the event date. To get approval, email photos of your props to the event manager before the event date. Props must be fire retardant. Any prop that has not been approved, will not be allowed inside the event.
- Tech rehearsal is generally not permitted on the main stage. However, in cases when a tech rehearsal is provided routines, block timing, music playback are at the discretion of World of Dance.
AWARDS, CASH PRIZES, AND OTHER ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Express your creativity, and be seen by the masses. Your competition performance will be recorded and released for the world to see on various @worldofdance social media platforms. To celebrate the most successful performances, each event holds an awards ceremony after each division.
- Studio Team Division, Junior Team Division, and Team Division winners are invited to participate in the World of Dance Summit and advance to the World of Dance Finals competition. All other participating teams are invited to participate in the World of Dance Summit, a non competition educational experience.
- World of Dance awards trophies to teams that place 1st, 2nd, and 3rd within each of the approved divisions. (Studio Team Division, Junior Team Division, and Team Division)
- First place winners from the Team Division is recommended to receive cash prizes. (Prizes may vary per event).
- First place winners from the Junior Team Division is recommended to receive cash prizes. (Prizes may vary per event)
- First place winners from the Studio Team Division is recommended to receive cash prizes.
- First place winners from any other group based division, or small act divisions such as junior division, upper division, or showcase performance may receive acknowledgements that vary per event.
- Additional awards may be given in each division including, but not limited to Best Theme, Best Costume and Crowd Favorite.